Monday, March 7, 2011

Back to the start

Yes, back to the start, of The Telescope. Why you ask since my last post was about how I had finally finished the animatic? Quite simply a lot of the earlier scenes needed to be touched up, since the film was started over a year ago, what I thought looked decent back then and what I think looks decent right now aren't really the same thing. So I've gone back and added in a bit more detail to many of the earlier shots. I only have one other shot that I think needs touching up and then its onto all new stuff, which is exciting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also recently got a chance to sit down and watch the 1962 sci-fi classic, Day of the Triffids.

Photobucket

At first, I wasn't really impressed, but that was just because the DVD transfer was the worst I have ever seen. I guess thats what happens when you pay $4.00 for a DVD. Turns out that the movie deserved a lot better treatment. The effects were pretty neat for the time, at least from what I could tell, I guess they probably wouldn't have held up so well if the film had been restored, but you never know, but what really stood out was the pacing. The movie just moves along at a quick pace, from location to location, usually with no explanation, but for some reason it never really feels like it needs one. You know the worlds in crisis and people just do what they have to do, and much like real life, you never really know all the facts. The way they show how society crumbles once a large portion of it looses its sight is also quite fascinating, especially for the time it was produced. If your into old sci-fi movies its well worth checking out, just be prepared for the poor restoration of this film to grate on the eyes.

I gave a go at doing a caricature of a Triffid from the film but it came out looking like ass...:(

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About This Blog

My photo
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Daniel Elliott is a contract flash developer, working on flash banner ads, microsites, iOS apps, television animation time lapse photography and music videos. This blog covers all of these areas, as well as the areas of local food and photography.