Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's like your amazing unit was meant to lead us all to the promised land!

Its almost been 2 weeks since my last blog post, shame on me!

Now where was I last time, ah yes, I just started working at my new job. Well, it may come as no surprise but im still working there, making banner ads and lead capture pages. Some jobs are really fun to work on, others are complete bastards, just like any other job in the world I suppose. I do prefer working on banner ads then the lcp's, but im sure with practice as I become more proficient doing lcp's it will all balance out. You can check out my desk space below. Those drawings on the right aren't by me but another animator, who also happens to be called Daniel, you can check out his work here. He has come from a TV background and ended up in web banners because times are tough in the Australian animation industry. Sounds like the opposite of me, starting off in web banners with the hope of eventually making my way into television commercial animation. Maybe one day the animation industry in Australia will actually become... you know... an industry. Im not holding my breath tho.

Photobucket

Also during my lunch breaks at work i've had a chance to chill out and do some doodling and work on vectoring some illustrations I drew last year. You can find the vector piece i've been working on below, its concept art for a project id like to do after I finish The Telescope, which I fingers crossed will have finished in the next 2 months. Anyway, me and my friend Mark Schneider plan on rebooting Out There, with a new and more dynamic animation style then the pixel based original, and we hope to start when he visits Australia later this year.

Photobucket

These are some other doodles, the first two are just basic old doodles, and the last 3 are character designs for a 40/50 second animation I need to do for a collab on TheBackalleys based around the idea of the end of the world in 2012. My concept is a faux 50's sci fi styled movie trailer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In non animation based news, this weekend I went to the Queen Victoria Markets for the first time, my partner Maya guided me around all the sites, and I ended up spending quite a bit of money. I ended up grabbing a nice ankle length leather jacket, and a Clockwork Orange poster since its one of my favorite movies. I also got what was quite possibly the biggest sausage roll I have ever seen. The pastry was incredible, shame the meat was pretty average... or below average.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also this weekend, going back further into time and space, when I had my mate Felix over and we watched some films of the animated variety. First up was Fantasia, which is one of my all time fav films. But everyone is familiar with that film.

What was more interesting was the second film we watched, a Japanese film called Dead Leaves, which is another of my all time favorite movies, and some what of an inspiration.

Photobucket

Photobucket

What I didn't realise was how much of an inspiration it actually was, when I look at my work all I can see is how slow, and methodical it tends to be, with little in the way of action or dynamic camera camera angles. BUT that didn't stop Felix from pointing out similarities in character design and color theories.

Photobucket

I felt rather good after the conversation actually, now if only I could make my work as visually exciting as Dead Leaves.

Photobucket

Other then that, not much else to report this week. Check out this gorgeous morning sky and lovingly restored Indian Motorcycle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ill close with this Dead Leaves shot because I want to leave an impression!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

My photo
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Daniel Elliott is a contract flash developer, working on flash banner ads, microsites, iOS apps, television animation time lapse photography and music videos. This blog covers all of these areas, as well as the areas of local food and photography.