Friday, October 28, 2011

Shake It Out

So I've been told these blogs have been getting a bit long in the tooth lately. Which I guess I should have realised, my last blog took took 10 minutes just to scroll to the bottom. So I will be trying to keep them a little more focused. On weeks where I dont have any animation news I will continue doing retrospectives of my older animations. That said, I have been busy on the first episode of the second season of Nimbin these last 2 weeks, getting around 1 minute of animation done.


Without giving to much away, here is Gerkinman riding on a tram. Here in Melbourne there are Trams, Trains and Buses everywhere, and quite often to get to where your going you have to take multiple forms.


As a general rule I much prefer the Trams to the Buses, not that you can tell its a bus in this shot. Buses just seem to take forever.


Bus stops tend to be in the stupidest places as well, they are never near shelter, at least not in the suburbs. So  if you get stuck in the rain you might just end up having all the brown dye in your hair washed out.


This shot shows Gerkinmans home, a giant open and empty space, with dust floating around. This is actually a throwback to his home in The Ultimate Asparagus 3. 


His home there is much less empty, but just as dusty.



And here we see Gerkinman looking back on his old life back in the country town of Nimbin. Awww...


I had some fun with the lipsync in this shot. Im just posting this because it makes me giggle. :O



You even get to see Gerkinman with his original Vegeta hair style in his full costume, something that hasn't been in a toon since 2007.


He doesn't stay that way long tho, eventually looking like the Gerkinman people have become familiar with over the last few years. All thats missing is his doobie... Im sure he will get one of those later tho. So what happens after his transformation?


Well, the movie cuts to this. Anyone who watched the old Nimbin cartoons should recognise this immediately. So I guess thats a hint. Has the camp changed over the years? Well thats a secret. I wont be posting any spoilers for the rest of the episode, any shots I do post will have to be ones that dont reveal anything, so we will see how we go. What you can probably see from this image is that it looks a lot more like the art from the original series then the art in the earlier parts of the cartoon.


Also my entry for this months Loopdeloop is finally up. If you want to know more about the process behind it check out last weeks post. Unfortunately I couldn't be there for this months screening because I was at a special screening of the original Jurassic Park. I didn't get to see it at the movies as a kid so it was a special screening indeed.



I also did 2 more scene re-imaginings from the older Gerkinman toons. Pretty happy with how they came out. I like the re-designed Spactafunk a lot more then the ones in the original series. Luis im not entirely sold on tho, I think he could use some more tweaking.

Also last week Melbourne Armageddon. It was my first time to a con in quite a few years. I did manzage to grab a few things while I was there. I picked up a short zine by artist Frank Candiloro called "The Widowmaker". I havent had a chance to read it yet but it looks like it should be interesting. You can see some of his other comic work just by click on his name back there.

I also picked up The Little big Book of Black and White Pinups by Alisha Howard, which is up there for longest title name with Godzilla, King Ghidora and Mortha All Out Attack. You can check out more of her work if you go back there and click on her name as well.

This convention also marked the first time Ive bought any graphic novels since I finished my Scott Pilgrim collection. 



I grabbed me a copy of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns which im pretty sure everyone aside from me has read. And also...


Transformers  Classics Vol 1, which is essentially the first 13 volumes of the Marvel comics from 1984. I had no idea that the Transformers lore was set down in these comics as they came before the series. Fascinating stuff. I have enough Transformers stuff to fill a blog of its own.


To close, heres me in the DeLorean from Back to the Future. Was pretty neat sitting in there.


And heres me with fellow animator Lochie Axon. He is dressed up as a Mudkip.

And thats it for this week. Tune in next week as I tell you about the time I cured cancer.

1 comment:

  1. Mn, It looks like this Nimbin is going to have pretty much everything I could have hoped for! I should go back and rewatch Nimbin season 1 in preparation!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About This Blog

My photo
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Daniel Elliott is a contract flash developer, working on flash banner ads, microsites, iOS apps, television animation time lapse photography and music videos. This blog covers all of these areas, as well as the areas of local food and photography.